An air conditioner Capacitor fails is a major problem in the summer season. Before fixing this problem we need to know about “what does a capacitor do in an air conditioner” In terms of AC breakdowns, one of the major common causes is a faulty AC capacitor.
Capacitors are an important part of each air conditioner. For that reason, we suggest checking your capacitor when your air conditioner is giving you a problem. But before you try and repair an AC capacitor, it’s important to know that, “what does a capacitor do in an air conditioner”
What is an ac capacitor?
AC capacitors are small cylindrical objects which store energy in the form of electricity (in other words: capacitors are a short-term battery).
What does a capacitor do in an air conditioner?
Capacitors send electrical signals that give power to the motors and in turn the rest of the unit. There are many capacitors within a given AC unit. For instance, there are “start” capacitors (which send signals to start up the motor), and “run” capacitors that regularly send signals to keep the motor running.
There are a couple of capacitors inside a given AC unit. for instance, there are “start” capacitors (which send signals to start up the motor), and “run” capacitors that often send signals to keep the motor running. Commonly, there may be a capacitor assigned to every compressor, outside fan, and blower motor.
How to Diagnose an air conditioner Capacitor Problem
While your AC capacitor is failing, you’ll probably be able to diagnose it yourself. In case you hear your unit humming however the fan is not walking, the capacitor is probably the culprit. This happens most often for the duration of the summertime while the hot climate combined with the heat of the motor generates extra put on-and-tear on the capacitors.
There is a test that will help you confirm this. Take a long, skinny stick and lightly push one of the fan blades to see if it’ll spin. If it does and it continues going, you in all likelihood have a failing “start” capacitor. That capacitor isn’t supplying enough power to set the cogs of the wheel in motion, so to talk.
How to Repair an AC Capacitor
- Disconnect power at both the disconnect or breaker panel.
- Locate your capacitor.
- Discharging the capacitor’s charging.
- Make note of how its wires connect.
- Disconnect the old capacitor.
- Installation of a new capacitor.
If you want to repair your ac start capacitor by yourself, follow these instructions given below:
- Disconnect power at both the disconnect or breaker panel: that is important! You’ll threaten injury in any other case. In any case, if you don’t know how to do this, don’t process with this repair.
- Locate your capacitor: Take away the service panel off of your AC unit and locate your start capacitor.
- Discharging the capacitor’s charging: For this step, proceed with caution! despite the fact that you’ve turned off the power to the unit, there’s still electricity contained inside the capacitor. Because of this, never touch the terminals along with your bare hands. Your capacitor will need to be discharged. After the capacitor has been discharged, dismount the capacitor. You’ll likely have to remove a screw from a steel band.
- Make note of how its wires connect: This is important to do before disconnecting the wires because it’ll make the setup of the brand new one substantially less difficult. We suggest taking a picture of them, so you have it for reference.
- Disconnect the old capacitor: With needle-nose pliers, use a slow rocking motion to pull the wires from the old capacitor.
- Installation of a new capacitor: The most crucial matters to keep in mind when searching for a brand new capacitor are the micro-farads and the voltage rating. The size doesn’t be identical to your previous capacitor.