Advantages and Disadvantages of solar energy – Solar energy is the cause of our survival. Without solar energy life is not possible. It also reduce our dependence on non-renewable source of energy and makes our environment cleaner. Solar energy is used in many ways for example cooking, heating, drying, distillation for power generation, cooling, refrigeration and cold storage.
Definition of solar energy – Solar energy is the most readily available source of energy. It is a wonderful and powerful source of energy. It does not belong to anybody and is, therefore, free. That is to say without it there will be no life. The sun energy which reaches the surface of earth is actually the half (about 47%) of energy which falls on the top earths surface. On the other hand rest of the energy is reflected back into the space. The sun energy reaches the earth gets absorbed by land, plants and water bodies like rivers, lakes and oceans.
Some advantages of solar enrgy
1.Renewable energy source : Since solar energy is a non renewable source of energy but taken as a renewable source of energy because as the day sun ends, life will also vanish. Sun energy is truly renewable source of energy. It can be harnessed in all areas of the world and is available everyday.
2. Cost effective and low maintenance: The initial cost to set a solar device is fairly high however once set it does not require lots of maintenance. We merely need to keep them clean. There are no moving part and wear and tear.
3. Photo voltaic cell: These cell are used to produced electricity in areas without access to energy grid, to distill water in regions with limited clean water supplies and to power satellites in space.
4. Technological Development: Innovation in quantum physics and new technological developments made solar panels more effective and more efficient.
5. In houses: Solar energy can integrated in the material used for buildings or houses. Sharp company introduced transparent solar energy windows which will help you to keep room temperature moderate
6. Eco-friendly and non polluting: The by product of nuclear fusion reaction remain in the sun and clean energy reaches the earth. So solar energy is non-polluting and environment friendly.
7. Reduction in electricity bill: Our electricity requirement are compensated by solar energy there by reducing the electricity bill.
Disadvantages of solar energy:
Despite the many advantages of solar energy, there are some disadvantages
- The initial cost for purchasing a solar system is fairly high.
- Solar energy depends completely on weather and climatic condition.
- Solar energy is stored in large batteries which are quite expensive.
- To set a solar power plant or any other appliance it requires a lot of land or lot of space.
- Transportation and installation of solar system have been associated with the emission of green houses gases.there are some toxic materials and hazardous products used during the manufacturing process of solar photovoltaic, which can indirectly affect the environment.